This weekend I visited my parents on the island for my mom’s birthday. Since they live pretty far out in the country (island-wise), they tend to forget to keep a good stock of ingredients. One of my biggest complaints was their lack of fresh veggies and fruits that they brought at Costco a month ago.
But lately they’ve been keep lot of variety in house. While rummaging their fridge to see what to make for lunch I found some zucchini that needed to be used. Looking around I found eggs, some onion, and gluten-free flour. Boom, I had everything I need to make some fritters!
No one to just wing-it, I made a quick on my phone for gluten-free zucchini fritters and found Sugar-Free Mom‘s recipe! This worked out great because I didn’t think about getting the water out of the zucchini. I did change the recipe a bit with the addition of onions and the use of coconut oil instead of ghee.
Gluten Free Zucchini Fritters (Adapted from Sugar-Free Mom‘s recipe)
- 4 cups shredded zucchini
- 1/2 cup chopped onion
- 2 eggs
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon pepper
- 1 cup gluten free flour (I used Premium Gold Gluten Free Flax & Ancient Grains All-Purpose Flour)
- 2 tablespoons coconut oil
- Sprinkle zucchini with salt and let it sit in a strainer for 10 minutes. Place zucchini in a clean dish towel or cheese cloth and wrap up tightly and squeeze out as much liquid as possible.
- Mix zucchini and the rest of the ingredients into a bowl and mix well.
- Heat oil in a large skillet.
- Drop and flatten spoonful of batter onto the hot skillet.
- Cook 2-3 minutes on each side or until browned.
- Place cooked fritters onto a paper towel lined plate and keep warm.
- Serve with either sour cream or in my case Filipino Spicy Banana Ketchup (best thing ever!)